Frank, Isobel & Peter Cunningham Family Economics Scholarship
MHCC Economics Instructor, Peter Cunningham established this scholarship to encourage aspiring economists at MHCC and help them move forward in their careers. The scholarship is named in honor of Peter’s parents, Frank and Isobel. Isobel Cunningham was a pragmatic businesswoman and placed a high priority on education. She encouraged Peter in his pursuit of his economics degrees and she set aside $1,000 to give to each grandchild in the family as an incentive to commit to college.
Frank Cunningham turned down scholarships to top colleges to enlist in the United States Navy, where he played an integral role in creating technology that helped the Allied troops disembark at Omaha Beach, one of the five sectors of the Allied invasion in Normandy. The Frank, Isobel & Peter Cunningham Family Economics Scholarship was signed on the 75th anniversary of D-Day to commemorate his contribution.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to qualify for this scholarship.
• Declared major in Economics
• Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
Once selected, the recipient must meet the following requirements in order to remain eligible for this scholarship.
• Must maintain at least part-time enrollment at MHCC (6+ credits per term) during each term the scholarship is in effect
• Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by the MHCC Office of Financial Aid (excluding maximum timeframe requirements). Visit https://mhcc.edu/KeepMyAid/ for more information.
• Funds will be distributed equally between fall, winter, and spring terms
• Scholarship funds may be used for all costs of attending college including tuition, fees, books, supplies, transportation, etc. Any amount remaining after tuition and fees are paid will be disbursed directly to the recipient
• This scholarship is renewable for a second year if sufficient funding is available and the recipient continues to meet the scholarship requirements.
Award amounts are subject to change based on availability of funds.