Shirley M. Labinowicz Scholarship
The Shirley Labinowicz Scholarship recognizes and supports part-time students with outstanding academic and/or leadership potential as they pursue their degree goals in Education, Counseling or Psychology.
This scholarship was established in loving memory of Shirley Marini Labinowicz, (1932-2007) whose 30-year professional career included creative work with both children and adults—as a teacher, a counselor, and a psychologist. Initially, while employed as a secretary, her intellectual curiosity was sparked by occasional community college courses. Later, in continuing pursuit of knowledge, credentials, and college degrees, she was enrolled as a part-time student throughout most of her professional career. She earned her first degree and teaching credential at age 30, and a Ph.D. in clinical psychology at age 55.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to qualify for this scholarship.
• Declared major of in Education, Counseling or Psychology
• Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
• Preference will be given to Transitions/Transiciones program graduates and/or students demonstrating financial need via the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Oregon State Aid Application (ORSAA)
Once selected, the recipient must meet the following requirements in order to remain eligible for this scholarship.
• Must maintain at least part-time enrollment at MHCC (6+ credits per term) during each term the scholarship is in effect
• Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by the MHCC Office of Financial Aid (excluding maximum timeframe requirements). Visit https://mhcc.edu/KeepMyAid/ for more information.
• Funds will be distributed equally between fall, winter, and spring terms
• Scholarship funds may be used for tuition, fees, and books; no cash will be disbursed
Award amounts are subject to change based on availability of funds.