Dean and Alta Stapleton Endowed Scholarship for Part-time Students
Alta Marie Stapleton had a life-long love with Oregon’s flora. In the late 1960’s she planted one of the area’s most beautiful gardens at her Gresham home. Alta’s Garden was praised for featuring an elaborate display of flowers, plants, and trees native to our state. Mt. Hood Community College instructors soon began to use Alta’s Garden as a living laboratory where students would go to visit and learn. What our students and instructors didn’t know at that time was just how much their visits had touched the heart of Alta Stapleton.
Alta passed away in 2014. Her husband Dean had passed away years before. With their passing came the revelation that the couple had planned to establish a legacy in support of students at MHCC. They left the MHCC Foundation $300,000 to establish The Dean and Alta Stapleton Endowed Scholarship. Alta’s and Dean’s gift is planting the seeds of support for our student’s success.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to qualify for this scholarship.
• Must live in the Mt. Hood Community College district
• Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
Once selected, the recipient must meet the following requirements in order to remain eligible for this scholarship.
• Must maintain at least part-time enrollment at MHCC (6+ credits per term) during each term the scholarship is in effect
• Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by the MHCC Office of Financial Aid (excluding maximum timeframe requirements). Visit https://mhcc.edu/KeepMyAid/ for more information.
• Funds will be distributed equally between fall, winter, and spring terms
• Scholarship funds may be used for tuition and fees only; no cash will be disbursed
Award amounts are subject to change based on availability of funds.